Wednesday, May 10, 2017

{Spotlight Project} Monika Makes A Postcard


Hello, crafty friends! This week I would like to talk about postcards. They are very popular in online forums for swaps. Here is one I made with a floral theme capturing the atmosphere of summer holidays.


There are a few things to bear in mind given that postcards are traditionally sent without envelope. Your design needs to be able to withstand rough handling whilst on its journey through the postal system. This means no fancy embellishments or pearls and layers need to be kept to an absolute minimum. You can get away with attaching die-cuts as long as they are firmly stuck down and the front of the card gets a protective coating.

I tend to work with two pieces of card 14.7 x 10.5 cm (5 3/4 x 4 1/8 inches) which I stick together for added stability. It also provides me with a clean reverse side making the address and message easier to read.

For today's project I was working with the current stamp club set Trendy Spring Blooms with sentiments from the Born To Roam set, the Camera Large from the Stamp Lab and the Smile CUTplorations Word Die.


These were the basic steps:
  • stamp and mask the camera in Elegant Eggplant
  • stamp the solid flowers using 2nd generation stamping and Strawberry Slush ink
  • stamp the outline flowers using 1st generation stamping with the same ink
  • stamp the leaves in Gumball Green
  • stamp the sentiments
  • die-cut the word 'smile', keep all the bits and die-cut the word again from a piece of white card
  • layer on the second piece of card inlaying the die-cut word
  • add grey Promarker shading to the camera
  • edge postcard with Elegant Eggplant
There is a craft along video taking you through my process of creating this postcard.



I shall leave you with one last look at the finished project.


That's it from me for today. If you feel inspired to create postcards using your stamps and dies, why not link them up to our Spotlight Project Showcase. We love to see your makes.

Have a lovely week!

hugs

Monika xxx


Here is what I used:

preview-SheryRuss_TrendySpringBlooms preview-SheryRuss_BorntoRoam CameraLARGE


8 comments:

  1. How clever is your postcard. Anyone would love to get that original in themailbox and all the hands it touches along the way would smile and wish it was theirs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun project. I like how you did the smile die. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun postcard! Love the color combo and the camera stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, I love this! Great design, stamps, colors...just everything!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Monika, I just received your very artsy Artist Trading Card airmail from the UK :-) Thank you so much for sharing my friend. I will be finishing it into a card or tag and will share with you. Hugs..Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)