Friday, May 26, 2017

{Mixed Media Tutorial} Altered Clothes Tag by Sanna


 Hello everyone, Sanna here again today with yet another Mixed Media tutorial. Quite a while back I shared a clothes tag tutorial with you and today I´d like to share a second one. I always keep nice clothes tags and incorporate those in various projects. They are great to alter and work perfect as as starting point for a mixed media project. Here is what I created this time:

Here is what I did:
1. The tag has a logo on it, so I first applied a thin layer of white gesso on top of that area.
2. After that I took old music note sheets and adhered small strips onto the gessoed area.
3. Next I took the Doily Squares stencil and placed it onto the tag. I applied a relatively thick layer of modeling paste with a palette knife thru the stencil onto the tag background and let that dry.
4. After the paste was dry I sprayed two tones of spray ink onto the surface and dried them with a heat gun. Next I added some white and red ink splatters for additional interest.
5. I then placed the butterflies into a misting box (cardboard box) and sprayed a light yellow spray ink layer onto them first.
6. After the first layer was dry, I placed the Super Bubbles stencil on top of the butterflies and sprayed a layer of apricot spray ink thru the stencil onto the butterflies. I carefully removed the wet, misted stencil and randomly pressed the residue ink onto a strip of white paper. That will work as a great starting point for another mixed media project. This way no ink goes to waste.
7. I then outlined the butterflies with a black pen to add more contrast and adhere them overlappingly onto the tag and added half pearls for detail. Finally I adhered a wood veneer piece and a ribbon for detail. This altered clothes tag will make a great present tag for a future present.



There is also a start-to-finish video I prepared for you to give you a better idea of the altering process. Hope you like it!!




I hope you get inspired to play with stencils and alter/recycle a clothes tag or two!! Have fun!!!
Happy crafting,
Sanna

Supplies:
ARTplorations - Doily Squares
ARTplorations - Super Bubbles

8 comments:

  1. WOW - WONDERFUL tag!
    LOVE your background, LOVE your butterflies too!
    ... moving this stencil up to the top of my wishlist and can't wait to doodle on & overlap some butterflies like you have too :)
    THANK YOU for sharing and INSPIRING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracy, I am so glad you liked the idea and that I could inspire!!! Wishing you a great crafty time!!

      Delete
  2. Love the end result I have a stash of these tags, and you have given me some ideas on how to go about using them.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maxine, glad I could inspire :). I wish I still had a couple more of these :) - they are so much fun to alter!!

      Delete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)