Tuesday, March 07, 2017

{Spotlight Project} Becca Creates Simple Shading with Watercolors



Hello! It's Becca here and today I'm going to show you how to create simple shading with watercolors.


This card also helps me honor tomorrow, which is International Women's Day. So this is for all the strong, confident, bold sistahs out there who have helped me along my journey.

This is where I get to take the time to pay homage to the creator of STAMPlorations, Shery Russ. If you want to talk about a woman who lends her strength to others and has created all sorts of opportunities, it's Shery. I also want to give a HUGE shoutout to my STAMPteamies! The constant inspiration you provide is magical for me. You keep me creating. Last, but not least, I want to give a shoutout to all the STAMPlorations blog readers. You all have NO idea how much your kind comments mean and I am constantly wowed by the cards you link up in our gallery.

Speaking of strong, confident women, let's all give it up for the fabulous Shirley Bampton who designed the CityGirl stamp I used as the focal point of my card.




I stamped CityGirl onto a piece of heavyweight cardstock and created a mask using thin paper.



I used some sketchy music notes from the Scribbly Splattery Grunge stamp set and stamped over my masked girl. 



I removed my mask and edged the outer areas of my CityGirl's trenchcoat with a honey orange color.



To create subtle shading, wash out your brush and just use a slightly damp brush on the outer edges of your color, which will allow the color to be pulled out. Continue this technique, washing the color off your brush and touching the edges of your color with clear water to create subtle shading. 



I added some turquoise and spring green to the edges of my girl and used the same technique to pull the color to the edges of the card.



Taaddaaaaa!



An artsy pretty design! 
I added a sentiment from the Strong Women stamp set and edged my focal panel with some mixed media grunge, using the same Scribbly Splattery Grunge set.

So here's to Strong Women! May we know them, may we be them, may we raise them. 

If you feel inspired to make a card in honor of International Women's Day, please link it up to the Spotlight Gallery.

7 comments:

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)